Saturday 17 November 2012

Revised: Somethings Never Change


Somethings Never Change

I still hide chocolate in little nooks around the house,
Behind a pile of books,
In a small pocket of a backpack,
Under the pillow.

The other night, my late night munchies led to a discovery.
When opening the snack cupboard,
I saw the blue wrapper, two squares left.
I wanted to place the extra piece,
already sticky with my finger prints,
into your palm.

Chomping  down on the little squares,
I felt the milky coalesced sugars slowly crumble between my teeth.
You always thought it odd to bite down on chocolate,
preferring to take your time, to let it melt in your mouth-
until that night Smuckers started barking in his dreams,
slowly breaking into a slumbered run,
our laughter causing you to choke
on the gooey pond of cocoa swirling on your tongue.

The refrigerator hum brings me back to my kitchen.
I see that I am alone, the wrapper empty.
I throw it away, and return to bed.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment